Satellite
  • Day 30

    On the way to Phinda

    January 29, 2016 in South Africa ⋅ 🌬 11 °C

    North Uthungulu, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
    Friday, January 29, 2016

    Today is our longest and last travelling day from Fugitive's Drift up in the north of Kwa-Zulu Natal to the Phinda Game Reserve, on the coast not far from the Mozambique border. It took us exactly 6 hours as expected.
    We were sad to say goodbye to Fugitive's Drift which had been simply fabulous, but knew that our last port of call would be more of the same, but with a different emphasis.
    The drive was stunning. I cannot describe the magnificent scenery that we passed through on our way down to the coast to pick up the N2. This region is a real gem for several reasons and somewhat overlooked I feel.
    Eventually we approached Phinda and if we thought our off road antics had been testing before, this was no different . We were eventually reduced down to sand tracks as we neared the lodge itself. Two large Nyala antelope jumped across the track. 'What the .... !' Exclaims the driver. Just you wait!!
    This place is magical. We are in a small individual lodge to ourselves, with a deck and plunge pool and there are just 6 lodges. We missed the afternoon game drive , but we're glad of the opportunity to settle in and phoned for our escort to dinner at 7pm. After dark, no one walks about unescorted! We had a very good dinner on the verandah open to the stars. Our cook is called Happiness and is exactly what that may imply, with food in mind! After a while I was aware of being watched and looking down there was a genet, a small cat with enormous eyes. She was hopeful of some food, but was of course unlucky.
    It could have been worse, apparently the night before, 2 lions came to take a look and settled themselves down for a snooze.
    Our first game drive is tomorrow at 5.30 am! Overnight security gives you a ring at 5am.
    Yes you heard -God help me!
    Read more