Satellite
  • Day 41

    Abel Tasman NP

    December 11, 2013 in New Zealand ⋅ 16 °C

    Kaiteriteri, Tasman, New Zealand
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013

    As a warning for the future, please don't ever mention the word Kayak in my hearing and you are about to discover why. The day started bright and early and we met up with our guide plus Rob and Lisa, two very lively Americans from Michigan, who appear to have canoed or kayaked half way round the world! Dave, the guide outlined the day, which was certainly not what we had been led to believe and alarm bells started to ring then, but we got under way. People, kayaks and all the gear were loaded on to a water taxi and tractored down to the beach for launching. Now this is not the sedate rather charming water taxi as in Venice. 'Gav' the skipper proceeded to put his foot down. He had a meeting with the bank manager in 20 mins and clearly had no intention of being late! We slapped through the water, hitting the waves so hard it shook every bone in the body. The bays just flew past and it all seemed a bit of a blur. In very short time the boat turned into a bay and I thought we were going to slide straight up the beach into the bush beyond, a la James Bond in the Everglades.
    I closed my eyes and when I opened them we had slid to a halt in shallow water. We all waded ashore and boats and gear were unloaded. Dave then proceeded to explain the whys and wherefores of kayaking. Double Dutch to us, but clear as day to Lisa and Rob. We had to stow all gear in a watertight compartment and then decide who was to sit at the back and operate the rudder. Peter was the lucky winner there. The next job was to put on your spray skirt. Now this is a cross between trying to squeeze into Spanx (the girls will know what I mean) whilst keeping your dignity and changing out of a wet swimsuit on the beach under a towel! The finished result was simply delightful, I can't think why it's not all over the Paris Fashion Houses.
    You then have to balance precariously on the edge of said kayak taking care not to overturn it and slide gracefully, skirt and all, into the bucket seat provided. The damn thing rolls all over the place I can tell you. Having got this far, you then have to fasten your 'skirt' to the seat opening, so you are sealed in. By now, my alarm bells were shrieking in both ears. 'What happens if the kayak should roll over Dave?' 'Quite simple Dulcie, just pull the toggle on your skirt up and off, to enable you to slip out of your seat ........underwater. Give it a bit of a tug, it can be quite tricky.' Oh yeah? No chance, I'd have had heart failure or drowned by that stage.
    Training consisted of a couple of paddles up and down. We didn't seem to be getting very far, as it turned out I was paddling forwards and PL thought you had to paddle backwards to go forwards! The rudder wasn't the easiest thing to operate either and the end result was a rolling circle, narrowly avoiding knocking Rob and Lisa (who were sitting so still and patiently,) into the middle of next week. I'm sure by now you are killing yourselves with laughter at the scene in your minds eye, but my state of mind by now was a cross between panic mode and seeing all of my life flashing before me. At this point the alarm cut out and I knew this was not for me. I understood there was to be a gentle paddle out to an Island in the Bay and a nature walk. In truth we were to kayak 6 kms in open sea before lunch. Dave was very sweet and took my refusal to kayak another metre very well (probably relieved as hell). He called another water taxi, the drated kayak was removed and we were transported to another delightful bay to explore and await the others for lunch.
    Decision made, we were actually able to enjoy our surroundings. Abel Tasman is a true wilderness. The only way in or out is by boat or walking and it has beaches like the Caribbean set in these gorgeous bays, with outcrops of rock dotting the horizon. It is very beautiful and we got to appreciate it further after lunch, by walking part of the Coastal path before joining up with the others again to catch the water taxi back to base. Lisa and Rob did admit to us that it was a lot harder than they expected and they are experienced kayakers, so the right decision was undoubtedly made.
    Interestingly, both slightly iffy days in NZ have involved water. Mary you are right and for the future I shall avoid all water borne entertainment like the plague.
    Read more