Satellite
  • Day 193

    One week in Dubai

    March 7, 2017 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    German version and more Photos: www.cyclingfornepal.com

    After my winter break in Munich my trip finally started again. But before going back on the bike, I made a one-week stopover in Dubai. There lives Adi, a very good friend from my college time. Adi has been a personal trainer and moved to Dubai a year ago.

    What was built in Dubai in a comparable short of time is very impressive. The Burj Khalifa is currently the tallest building in the world and is located in down town, next to the largest shopping center with over 1200 shops, an ice hockey field, an aquarium and much more. And that is not the end. The city continues to grow. For example, the "Dubai Mall" getting enlarged by further 1000 stores.

    Dubai has 2.1 million inhabitants. It feels like that more than half of them are not locals, instead people from all over the world.

    Adi lives with four other roommates in a large house near the harbor. Life in Dubai is not cheap. Especially apartments and houses cost a lot of money, which is why residential communities are not rare.

    The week itself should not be an ordinary city trip, where you can see as much as possible in a short time. I'm not a big fan of "sightseeing" anyway, so the week was a good mix of action, sights, beach and nightlife.

    Dubai is an interesting city, which is characterized by the modern architecture and proximity to the beach. The season should be well chosen, because 50 degrees are not uncommon in the summer.

    A big thank goes to Adi, Haryot, Andrea and Corinna for the great hospitality and fun activities.

    Next blog is coming soon: Sri Lanka

    Janosch
    Read more