Satellite
  • Day 14

    Doc Martin, Castles and Witches!

    August 30, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Raining this morning when we set off, about a fifty minute drive over to Port Isaac, bit of a mix of motorway, smaller highways and tiny little lanes. It had stopped raining by the time we got there at least, still pretty overcast though. What a gorgeous little village, you can see why they picked this one for the tv series. Lots of pretty streets leading down to a picturesque harbour. We'd done our usual trick and were there before a lot of the shops had opened. That works pretty well for us though because you get to see a bit before the crowds arrive. We hiked up to the top of one of the cliffs overlooking the village, beautiful views from up there and the rain held off and the sun tried it's best to shine through. We finally discovered what a Bacon Bap is too. Bit like a toasted bagel with bacon.

    Next stop was Tintagel, home of one of King Arthur's Castles, or the ruin of it anyway. Beautiful headland and more gorgeous vistas! Nice old post office in town too, which is restored to its former glory and on display. It started to rain again just as we got back to town and we'd worked up an appetite after all this walking so tried out a hand picked crab sandwich, yummo!

    Then on to Boscastle, another pretty little harbour, only really small this time lined with steep slate cliffs, and an interesting witches museum. Lots of protected harbours in Cornwall so I'm assuming the seas get pretty high and rough at times!

    Set the GPS to home and this time it let us through every small lane in Cornwall I think. Omg talk about squeezy, the hedges and rocks walls are whizzing past and nobody slows down, not even the little old ladies.ma couple of them left us for dead. Anyway we made it back with a few more grey hairs to show for it! Now to sort some dinner, there's no lack of pubs so I'm sure we'll be right!
    Read more