Satellite
  • Day 34

    Goodbye Ireland

    September 19, 2017 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The last place on the Northern Ireland agenda is Carrick-a-reek Rope Bridge. Not such a great looking morning today, bit overcast but no rain yet! Hope fully it will hold off.
    Nice walk along to cliffs to the rope bridge, then they have someone at each end so only so many people can get on it at once I guess. It's a little scary but not nearly as bad as some I've been on. Pretty sturdy so it didn't sway much luckily.

    Plenty of sea birds on the little island it connects too. We watched the gannets diving for their breakfast for a while. Then walked back along the cliffs. Lots of people and buses arriving by then. Drove along the coast road all the way back down to Larne where we are getting the ferry over to Scotland.

    We had a couple of hours to kill so we went for a quick drive into Carrickfergus. Visited the Castle, which is right on the waterfront and was in use right up until 1929 I think the guide said. Wish we'd had more time there it seems like a nice little city!

    The ferry only took two hours, got in about seven. We'd booked a B and B while we waited to board in Cairnryan where the ferry lands. Turns out there is not much to Cairnryan, only one street, no pub, no shop, no take aways. Luckily the lady who owns the B and B had bought some fish just in case we hadn't had any dinner. So we had a lovely fish and chip meal for tea served in her little restaurant, just us all alone. She had a bar as well, so a few drinks with her and her husband and a couple of their friends filled in the rest of the night.
    Read more