Satellite
  • Day 46

    Out and about in West Yorkshire

    October 1, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    It's Sunday today and I'm determined to have a last Sunday lunch in England. It's a bit of a gloomy day to start with, but had started to brighten up by the time we got ourselves ready to go.

    First stop was the Bingley Five Locks a series of locks on one of the canals. We've seen these before but they never fail to entertain. Funniest thing was one of the boats going down was someone we'd meet in Wales. They'd been on their boat for six months. That would be really testing the friendship!

    Then on to Saltaire Village. One of the most perfectly preserved Victorian villages. All built by one family for their Salt Mill. Factory, mill, church, school, hall, hospital and enough houses for 3000 people.

    I thought we could drive over the Yorkshire moors from here, but it turns out they are about two hours away and we couldn't be naffed driving that far. Luckily there is Ilkley Moor and Rombald's Moor both of which are only a few miles away. On the way though we passed through Burley in Wharfedale and saw the Red Lion Pub which looked promising, so I got my delicious roast lunch and a bonus of Jam Roly Poly for desert.

    Finally dragged our full bellies away and found the Cow and Calf a very windy mountain top on the Ilkley Moor, and then Rombald's, a heather and bog moorland at the end of a windy steep road!
    Read more