Satellite
  • Day 49

    Copenhagen

    October 4, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    After arriving in Denmark last night, took a bit of trail and error too figured out how to get into the city on the train. Nice quick trip and the train station was only a couple of blocks from the hotel.

    We had a bit of a walk around the city in the morning and then Joanna, Amalie and little Erik came to pick us up.

    The girls had organised a tour through some of the palace rooms for us, so after negating the Downton traffic and finding a park we made it there. The changing of the guards had just finished a little while ago which was a good thing because only a handful of tourists were left.

    The tour was in Danish that day but the girls did there best to interpret as much as they could and it was wonderful to see all the staterooms and receptions areas. So ornate with beautiful tapestries and painting everywhere.

    One peculiar room was highlighted in gold and Erik couldn't get over it, he kept throwing back his head to look at the ceiling. Then he found his voice and figured out he sounded nice and echoy in these big rooms. After about five minutes the security guard asked if one of the girls would take him out. Poor little man I didn't think he was that bad. But he will have a good story when he's older. Only six months old the first time you're chucked out of somewhere.

    We waved to Mary and Frederick on the way out, saw the lights were on so I'm sure they were watching. We were all starving by then so off to find some lunch at the gorgeous Nyhavn. Beautiful area on the canal with lots of restaurants and cafes. Too cold to sit outside today though!

    The girls are great company and even though Copenhagen is not really their normal stomping ground, they did really well to keep us entertained with bits of history and fun facts!

    We had to fight the afternoon traffic to get back to Horby where Amalie lives and we are staying for the first two nights.

    It's so lovely after 7 weeks to have someone else do all the organising everything for you. We're very happy to sit back and let Joanna lead the way.
    Read more