Satellite
  • Day 7

    Kyoto

    May 13, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Hopped the train to Koyto this morning, and dropped our bags at the hotel when we eventually found it. Yet another enormous food market just a few blocks away, this one with lots of taste testing, no idea what a lot of it was, probably just as well, but most of it was Yummo. Goodness my feet by the end of it, Had to come back for a little rest before heading out again.

    We headed down to Gion about five, it’s where the geishas work and we’re hoping to spot some. Took the bus this time, interesting trying to figure out a bus route in Japanese. Luckily it wasn’t far and we managed to get on the right bus. Spotted our first geisha about two minutes after getting off the bus.. It’s a bit difficult at first because there are so many tourists dressed up as geishas, although they are usually in a pack or with a samarai partner.

    We found a back street which seemed to be a favourite short cut for them and I think we saw 7 or 8 genuine ones over the evening. They are quite beautiful, really, very modest, never look at you., walk very fast and with a definite purpose. Probably sick to death of tourists. It is very exciting when you do see one. Graham said “ This is like wildlife spotting, waiting for them to come out at dusk, stay very still and don’t frighten them” in his best David Attenborough voice.

    Gion is a beautiful place too, part of the old town with so many gorgeous old streets and laneways. And resturants, expensive restaurants, no advertising on most of them, the occasional piece of paper with the price for a set meal. So many it was incredible. We wandered around looking at the streets and laneways for a while and trying to decide on a place for dinner. So hard. Eventually we just had to pick one, 6 courses and they were all amazing. Our own little room with our own personal waitress. Such a great experience, might not have enough to pay the motel bill now but it was worth it.

    There was this funny little ball on the table that Graham started playing with, 2 seconds later in pops the waitress, looks at him “yes?” Graham “oh that’s what’s this is for? “Yes you pushl I come “ 😂😂 I don’t know what you could possible want they haven’t already thought of, she was in and out of the room every few minutes bringing stuff we didn’t even know we wanted.
    Read more