Satellite
  • Day 44

    A very different day, today!

    May 16, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    After my catastrophic morning yesterday, as I walked after lunch, I listened to an audiobook "Penguin Bloom" about an adventurous Australian family whose life changes dramatically when Cameron Bloom, the mother, sudenly becomes paraplegic. In the book Cameron describe her self-destructive anger at the circumstances she is suddenly in, how she hates herself and all around her. Then a small Magpie bird flutters into the family's life and changes everything. A Deeply moving story!
    As I walked, I reflected on my anger of the morning and recognised myself in her story. I wondered how it must be when you know that whatever you do and no matter how much time passes, you are never going to have your torso and legs back again. At least I can close the day and start with a new one 12 hours later.
    In the evening Stefania (Miss 45 km/day) suddenly appeared in my hostel, which somehow didn't astound me at all. Darius her Iranian companion had returned to Switzerland, and bouncy and joyful as she is, she had just completed a 40km day and looked as if she had just done 5kms. We reflected on my anger that morning. She couldn't understand me, she said she loves walking in the rain, alone, at her pace, with herself. And I realized, there is no absolute truth only our each subjective perception of of what we are experiencing. Our perception creates our reality and we decide on how we want to see something.
    Tina, a friend of mine in Munich, writes a "thankfulness" diary and exchanges it each day with a good friend of her's. She does this to focus her energy on what is good in her life. I have always deeply admired her for this attitude.

    Yes, Today is a very different day! ❤
    Read more