Satellite
  • Day 15

    Day 15 - San Sebastian

    April 30, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    What a difference a day makes. Cold, wet and very windy. Only good thing was the strong winds meant the heavy showers came and left pretty quick.

    I'd managed to pick up a ticket to watch Real Sociedad vs Real Madrid a couple of days ago so luckily the weather didn't have too much of an impact on the day. After a chilled morning I headed over to the ground for a few pre game beers and see what was going on.

    Not your biggest of clubs Real Sociedad. Atmosphere around the ground reminded me of a Fulham game, a family club with everyone just having a good day out. The real stars were Real Madrid (no Ronaldo sadly) who are pushing fir the title and an average game was saved for Madrid by a Bale winner in the 80th minute. Fair play to the 100 or so Sociedad 'ultras' who didn't stop singing for the entire mate and the old fella next to me who spoke to me in Spanish the whole match. No idea what he said but a lot knodding and shouting at the ref when he did seemed to do the trick.

    After the match it was time to head back to the old town to spend an website in the pintxos bars and try and work out how to order the food. Each bar varies slightly which doesn't help but basically you grab a plate help yourself to what's on the bar, order a few hot things (black squid ink risotto in one of the bars was amazing) and the barmen some how at the end seem to know exactly what you've had and everyone else. No idea how they do it but very impressive. Great atmosphere in all the bars with the locals not coming out for food until about 9/10pm the places are still buzzing with people eating and drinking well gone midnight.

    Great weekend in San Sebastian will definitely be back. Back on the bike tomorrow and can't wait.
    Read more