Satellite
  • Day 41

    Eddies Elim Beach Camp

    May 28, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Eddies Elim Beach Camp
    Great story here because Aboriginal people have had land returned to them and are making a real go of it.
    The fight is not over as they are now in “negotiations” with mining companies on the area who want to expand their sand mining leases. They process silica which is experiencing increased demand.
    That aside this location is fantastic. Wide level camping right on the Coral Sea. The amenities are basic but serviceable and the environment is beautiful.
    At low tide the beach is wide and flat. Just perfect for a long ride. The coloured sands are a remarkable feature. The only thing we found on Elim Beach is a hut set up with the camp ground owner. They established a Kit Surfing Safari (only access is via the beach)
    There are some great 4x4 tracks that access South Bedford Beach. Remote wind blown and beautiful. Sadly the beach has a lot of debris, mostly plastic, in the jetsam that washes in from the sea.
    Something must be done about this disaster. If this beach looks like this, imagine the state of The Reef and the sea floor. Who would be a fish?
    Read more