Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 7

    August 29, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    The weather wasn't predicted to be great today, but we have since learned to ignore the weather forecast and look out of the window!
    We decided to brave the rain anyway and head out for a walk around the North of the island. We rode as far north as we could to the place the short ferry goes across to the mainland, and left the bikes and our gear there. We only had trainers with us for walking, so our feet were wet through within minutes.

    It did keep trying to rain, but the showers were fairly light, and much of the walk was through the trees so it wasn't too bad. The walk took us up round the northern part of the island and out to a WWII bunker used as a decoy in the war which had amazing views out to sea.

    We saw loads of toadstools, mushrooms and a large ants nest.

    We finally stopped for our Scottish picnic lunch once we found our way back down to the sea front. We sheltered under a tree and ate our scotch pies, home grown tomatoes and apples, then walked much of the way back to the bikes along the shore front looking for shells.

    It was quite a tough walk, though disappointingly we didn't make it to the top of any of the hills due to the weather and our unsuitable footwear, so we headed back to town for tea and cake!

    We popped back home to get some dry clothes, then headed out again to Ettrick bay for another walk and a hot chocolate in the tea room as it had stopped raining.

    Dinner was omelette with the eggs, tomatoes and peas we were given which was proper yummy, and we had a cosy evening watching a film.
    Read more