Satellite
  • Day 8

    Montenegro & Salento, Colombia

    September 9, 2016 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Sept, 9 – Valle to Quindio

    We decided to drive to el Eje Cafetero, an important place located near the mountains of Cordillera Central where coffee is the main topic.

    The drive from Cali to Montenegro is amazingly nice: good weather and very good roads of three lines. Mountains are closer and bigger and more beautiful than I could remember and Marty could imagine. Green full of trees and palms surrounding rivers and farms. We stayed in La Tata, a nice hotel built and kept as the old farms of coffee farmers. After frijoles with chorizo (beans) my dad insisted to rent a Jeep to drive to Valle del Cocora in Salento. Amazing view with tinto and new ponchos due to sudden cold weather.

    Next day we visited el Parque del Café where we learnt a thing or two about coffee. I saw one of the most beautiful Colombian dances I can remember. Crying was expected, but very nice!

    Thermal swimming pool…have you seen a pack of cigarettes? Ok, that’s the best to describe the experience. Three swimming pools full of very hot water coming from Volcano Nevado del Ruiz. Very healthy way to relax your muscles just not a good idea to visit on a Saturday night when all local people meet to drink and relax. 
    Read more