Satellite
  • Day 2

    Arriving in KL

    September 10, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Hello Kuala Lumpur! It was quite a shock arriving in KL at 6am after a 12+ hr flight with no sleep. Fortunately KL arrivals is super easy so we breezed through there, stripped off our NZ layers and were ready to explore.

    Pounding the pavement in KL in the steaming heat all day with no sleep was a bit of a challenge. We were able to find respite in the amazing food courts and found the Telecommunications museum with free WiFi and clean toilets so the kids were happy there for ages. Then Crofty led us to the forest park in the middle of the city and made us walk through and marvel at the lovely trees. Well, the Mum was getting pretty scratchy by now so decided to head back to the hotel lobby to plead for early check in, the girls went too, hoping for a wee couch to lay on. Jacob and Crofty carried on their tour and went up the Sky Tower looking for a grand view of the city. At this time of year the smog is really thick in KL so they didn’t see much but loved it all the same. By 3pm they joined us back a the hotel, ready for a nap.

    It turns out the Hotel didn’t have a room for us after all as they made a mistake with our booking which was not good news at this time in the late afternoon. Not to worry, we finally found a better place right near the Petronas towers and famous KLCC park. That was right after we found a really horrible joint and had to walk straight back out. Thank goodness for online booking sites, it makes travelling so easy, back in our back packing days, 20 years ago we would have had to keep on walking around until we found a vacancy. We were all happy to find our pillows that first night and excited to see more of KL the next day.

    Stayed at Summer Suites, Jalan Ampang. Lisa our host was great, we loved the pool, yoga platform and Jom Jom’s kitchen, serving traditional Malaysian breakfast of either noodle soup or fried rice with peanuts, anchovies, boiled egg and cucumber on the side.

    By Rachel
    Read more