Satellite
  • Day 31

    Uluru - pushbike ride around the base

    July 18, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    What a wonderful way to experience the Rock's natural beauty and read more about the cultural significance!!
    This morning we hired a couple of "comfort" bikes and rode 15klm around the base of Uluru. We rode anticlockwise to avoid the tour groups and the loop is divided into 5 different walks. From where we picked up our bikes to the beginning of the Lungkata Walk (at the base of Uluru) is called the Liru walk (poisonous snake man). Then along the Lungkata (blue-tongued lizard man) walk to the Kuniya (woma python woman) walk including the art caves and the Mutitjulu Waterhole (home to Wanampi, an ancestral water snake). From there we rode around the back of the rock (Base walk) and back towards the start, onto the Mala walk where the Mala (rufous hare wallaby) people camped when they arrived at Uluru in the beginning. This is where Kantju Gorge is with its sheer vertical walls.
    Some areas are sensitive and sacred to the Anangu traditional owners, therefore we did not take photos of these. Although encouraged not to walk up the rock, people could be seen walking up at any time of the day. The walking chain etc remains in place with warnings and the request of the traditional owners not to walk up Uluru as it is associated with important Mala ceremonies and is believed that the Mala men would used this traditional route on arrival at Uluru.
    Read more