Satellite
  • Day 12

    Split to Dubrovnik

    May 23, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Dubrovnik can have its own footprint as I'm going to be here a few days with Mandy.
    The ride from Split was spectacular with fantastic views around every bend. I came down the coast road which takes much longer but it is not to be missed. The roads are very good with bend after sweeping bend. At times you are really high and others you are at sea level. To get to Dubrovnik you can either go into Bosnia and Herzegovina then out again about twenty kilometers later or you can catch a ferry and stay in Croatia. The timing for the ferry wasn't good so I chose to cross the border then cross again. I stopped for lunch about twenty kilometers before the border and used the time to make sure my papers are in order and easily accessible. When I reached the crossing the guard in his but opened a window and said 'Where are you from'. 'England' I replied. 'Ok goodbye' he said and closed the window. I didn't even get my passport out of my pocket. After this you ride for about five kilometers in what I thought was no man's land before reaching the Bosnian border where the man said nothing. He just held out his hand, I put my passport in it, he scanned it and handed it back..
    Before reaching the border I had to stop for nearly an hour as there had been a nasty accident and the road was closed. I made my way to the front of a very long cue where the people and vehicles involved had already been removed, the police where photographing and taking measurements for a long time. I was first to go when they opened the road so I had it to myself for quite a while. I stopped to have a chat with a German who was clearly a long distance rider. He was interesting because he has just come from Montenegro, Albania and Corfu so I got some tips from him. He said his wife had flown to meet him in Corfu as she won't go on the bike and with that he made the sign of the cross and said thanks be to god. No comment from me on that one!
    Read more