Satellite
  • Day 19

    Williamsburg

    April 8, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    We had a great day today in Williamsburg. After a good night's sleep but pretty average breakfast we drove to the visitor welcome centre and bought our tickets for the next three days. Williamsburg is a totally authentic revolutionary town with pretty streets, beautiful homes and lots of employees dressed up in character for the 1700s. For example we enjoyed talking to Caesar Hope the slave who was freed and became a barber. we also spoke to the shoemaker and really enjoyed going through the governor's palace.

    We had a soup and sandwich lunch at the Red Tavern and after lunch we walked up to the Arts Museum and were wowed by an address by a gentleman role-playing George Washington. It was very clear to us that the locals know their history very well and many questions were being asked including some by quite small children. Another highlight was going through the lawyers house he was called John Whyte. He assisted George Washington with the declaration of independence and many important people visited and stayed at his abode.
    Another highlight of today was that we saw lots of blue sky, felt the sunshine and many blossoms are now appearing. In the Main Street of Williamsburg the roads were closed off and there was a market with live music and stallholders which was very pleasant.
    Tonight we chose Kephi's Restaurant - greek and delicious. We also only had entrees, salad and dessert - no main course. Much more suitable quantities!
    Read more