Satellite
  • Day 20

    Jamestown, Yorktown & Williamsburg again

    April 9, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    It was raining and cooler again this morning ): so after breakfast, we decided to drive around the area. We took the Colonial Parkway, which is a very picturesque road through parkland on the way to Yorktown. Yorktown is the original landing area on the Chesapeake Bay. It was lovely driving through green, blossoming trees and under pretty bridges. All along the way, they have put signs to indicate what historical occurrences happened at each spot. Yorktown was pretty but the part we saw near to the sea and bridge did not seem real – just set up for tourists. After a look around, I had a caramel cappuccino at Ben & Jerry’s, which was okay but too sweet of course. Next, we drove down to Jamestown where the archaeological diggings and other historical evidence of various battles is located. This includes the areas mapped by John Smith who of course loved Pocohantas! We didn’t want to pay for further entrance fees as we still have our 3 day Williamsburg ones, so we chose to go on the scenic drive around Jamestown Island – very lovely. BTW we had an enjoyable conversation when purchasing stamps and posting cards at the shop in Jamestown. During the drive back to Williamsburg we stopped at The Carrot Cake restaurant and then went back to Colonial Williamsburg. We parked in a closer area today and walked in to see the home of Peyton Randolph. This was very interesting historically but both of us have no respect for him or his wife Betty, who had 27 slaves to run their households and demonstrated poor generosity when it came to giving any of them freedom. Apparently, Randolph was designated to be one of the Presidents – but died of a stroke beforehand. Choices and Consequences I say! The girl showing us around there was great and Craig asked her many questions which she duly answered in an informative and entertaining manner.
    Finally, we walked up to the Capitol and had our tour there. Once again we had an excellent presenter in the role and that was also extremely interesting. Back home for a rest as I am tired today.
    Read more