Satellite
  • Day 9

    Day 9 | Cinque Terre, Italy

    July 13, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    11:42 a.m. train ride for an hour and twenty minutes to Cinque Terre.

    The Cinque Terre is a string of centuries-old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline. There are five villages here that date from the early medieval period. Monterosso, the oldest, was founded in 643 AD, when beleaguered hill dwellers moved down to the coast to escape from invading barbarians. Riomaggiore came next, purportedly established in the 8th century by Greek settlers fleeing persecution in Byzantium. The others are Vernazza, Corniglia and Manarola. Much of what remains in the villages today dates from the late High Middle Ages, including several castles and a quintet of illustrious parish churches.

    In each of the 5 towns, colorful houses and ancient vineyards cling to steep terraces, fishing boats bob in harbors and trattorias turn out seafood specialties along with the Liguria region’s most famous dish, pesto.

    There’s not a museum in sight, just sun, sea, sand (well, pebbles), wine, swimming, hiking, and pure, unadulterated Italy. It was magnifico!

    Lunch: Bogni Eden
    Dinner: Il Porticciolo
    Snacks: Nectarines, Gelato

    Temp: High 84 / Low 73
    Pedometer: 7 miles
    Read more