Satellite
  • Day 15

    Day 15 | Madrid, Spain

    July 19, 2015 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Yes, we slept in......HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHRIS!!!!

    Once again, it was lunch time when we got started. Haha. We had a fun day already planned for his birthday.

    First of all, we found a Taco Bell here in Madrid and decided to order some "to go" for a picnic at the Plaza de España. This park-like square dates back to the 18th century and is surrounded by two of the city's largest buildings, a large fountain, and a stone & bronze statue of Cervantes on horseback, the great figure of Spanish literature known for writing "Don Quixote".

    After our picnic/birthday party...we took a long walk, taking in the sights: Puerta de Alcala (Neo-classical monument near the city center); Parque del Buen Retiro (one of the largest parks of the city); Punto de Información Turística de la Plaza de Cibeles (Offices of Tourism)....until we reached our final destination...

    PLAZA DE TOROS!!! Time for a bullfight or six! Lol. The "Las Ventas" Bullfighting (Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas) is the most famous bullring of Spain and has the best matadors! It was so neat being part of such a legendary tradition. I won't go in to great detail about this event, but I will say we were shocked with the first bull and then we got used to what was happening. To sum it up, it was the most intense, bloody, gory, thrilling, courageous, passionate spectacle we have ever seen. Well, time for dinner...

    ...all that bull made us crave some meat! Haha. We took a train back to our square and walked around until we found a burger place called "The Good Burger" or "TGB"...guess what? IT WAS GOOD!! Best burger we've had in a long time.

    Goodnight Madrid.

    Temp: Hi 93 / Lo 70
    Pedometer: 8.75 miles
    Read more