Satellite
  • Day 155

    Trampoline of Death

    September 26, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    It’s 5 to 7 and we’ve just stopped to let a load of air out of the tyres. I think we are close!
    It’s 7pm, the police have just stopped us to say hello. Think it’s a good idea considering the drivers you get on the normal roads here!
    The tarmac has now disappeared, along with the second lane: its pitch black which is probably a good thing knowing that there are shear drops on both sides.
    Not know that we would be travelling such an infamous route was only decide his morning. We only found out two days ago that it has a name. Never the less, it’s all about the journey!
    The driver is not slowing down much right now and the mini van is bouncing! Not much surprise there!
    We had dropped down to about 900m to Mocoa, but we are climbing quite quickly. Luckily, for now, the larger trucks are stopping to let us pass in sensible places, for one! 😬
    Just stopped to let our baby passenger eat and be changed. Had a quick pigeon Spanish chat with the driver, he thinks I should ride my bike along here. I think he’s on to something! An ambulance just went passed too, hmmmm. I feel like Hunter S Thompson right now, right in the thick of it!
    5 more hours on the trampoline, mYbe.
    We’ve now crossed two rivers across the road and just had to reverse along the sketchyest section yet. It’s BUMPY!!! Just turned 8pm.
    There are barriers along most of he road so far, but a lot of them are bent, the parts where the barriers have fallen away, there is yellow caution tape.
    Another river. Good job it’s not raining, theres still time! Ha!
    I just had a look at the map, not a good idea, it just saw how wiggly it’s going to get.
    It’s now 8:40 and we’re going down a bit. We hit 2100m, I dunno what is to come, but I think I might have a nap.
    9pm and we’ve stopped again, probably not a bad thing considering the drive. We’ve had a hot chocolate and ‘pan con queso’ which was exactly like airplane food.
    10pm, still alive, we’ve stopped again to help some dude fix the suspension on his Toyota Hilux twin cab. We just so happen to be on the edge of a cliff. There’s a surprise! We are supposed to arrive at 10:30, but we are on a 1/4 of the way there. 88km to go. Yaaaawn.
    Tarmac! I’m not sure for how long, but it’ll do for now. 10:45 and we have civilisation, hopefully we’re off the tra mamp aline!
    Annnnnnd we’ve stopped again, but this time to pimp the tyres back up. This is a good sign! Maybe we’ll be able to find somewhere to sleep before 1am. Hopefully.
    00:45. Here!
    Read more