Satellite
  • Day 1

    Singapore

    March 17, 2018 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Arrived at 7am, got a taxi (with a shouting lunatic) from the airport to Marina Bay Sands. Was completely gobsmacked by the sheer scale of the place!
    Went to the check in desk in tower 1 but my room wasn’t ready yet. Left my suitcase with the concierge and set off with my rucksack to Gardens by the bay.
    Went around the Skyway (suspension bridge type thing up in amongst the giant metal trees) which gave a great view of Marina Bay Sands and over the rest of the gardens.
    Then wandered round to the cloud forest and flower dome. Cloud forest is basically a massive indoor 7 story rainforest, complete with waterfall and atmospheric misting. Very beautiful! Flower dome was a bit overcrowded but has some very pretty flowers and trees non the less.
    I then got my email to say my room was ready and so I headed back to the hotel.
    The room was something to behold! On the 17th floor with a gorgeous view over the bay. Enough space for about 300 people... lovely bathroom with a freestanding massive bathtub and a massive king bed.
    I dropped my stuff off, donned my swimsuit, bathrobe and slippers and headed to the infinity pool!
    WHAT A PLACE
    The views are stunning, people bring you drinks to your sun-lounger, there are palm trees and a pool that was just the perfect temperature to go with the 30 degree heat.
    I chilled there for a good couple of hours, complete with prosecco and sushi (and a distinct lack of sun cream so I got pretty burnt).
    I then got a message from Krystle who I know from dancing at Warwick. She lives in Singapore and offered to show me round.
    We went to go get some bubble tea because apparently that’s what the locals do. I had lychee flavour with black pearls, so delicious!
    Then we went for a wander around the bay to see the sights. Ended up being quite a walk, did 18km altogether.
    After our walk we went back to the infinity pool so Krystle could try it out. We took lots of pictures and enjoyed watching the sunset.
    We wandered in to town and stumbled across a light show in the bay. Using a combination of laser lights and fountains in the water they created a magical display.
    We then went to go have some dinner at a hawker centre which is apparently the best place to get local food. It’s basically a massive hall with lots of different food stalls in it. Here we tried bbq sting ray and fried carrot cake (not actually carrot cake at all, basically a rice flour thing in some kind of sauce, very tasty!)
    I was then getting sleepy as I had only had 6 hours sleep in 3 days so I headed back to the hotel, with one last view over the bay with all the lights on.
    Read more