Satellite
  • Day 10

    Medical ICU day 1

    March 26, 2018 on the Philippines ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Up at the usual time. French toast, bacon and syrup for breakfast today, yaaass!
    Went to internal medicine handover as usual but this time was introduced by one of the residents who is in charge of work the world things. She showed me where MICU was and introduced me to the staff which was nice.
    MICU is air conditioned which is AMAZING! And there are only about 8 beds in there so it isn’t too busy. Most of the patients seem to be stroke patients (still can’t figure out why it’s so common here) who are intubated and have full monitoring. Saw an “emergency” re-intubation in a patient that desaturated to 50% as a blood clot was blocking her ET tube. The resident seemed very relaxed about this and didn’t particularly do it with much urgency! Read through some notes and saw a few patients then headed home.
    Once we were all back we headed to SM city mall again to grab a few bits ready for our upcoming weekend away. Got a new bikini, denim shorts and some products. Also treated myself to a frappe! We then headed back to the house to chill.
    As this week coming is Easter weekend (Holy Week here), it’s basically a massive national holiday from Thursday to Monday and so me, Emma and Hannah are planning to go to Borocay then. We spent a bit of time looking at hotels and eventually got one booked which has a pool and looks quite nice (decided to treat ourselves). Once we had done that, I chilled in my room for a bit and then video called Momma. Was really nice to catch up with her, even if the video did keep cutting out! After that I went to bed.
    Read more