Satellite
  • Day 17

    До Побачення Україна

    August 13, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    After a lengthy 3 hour and 45 minute sleep, the alarms woke us up at 7:00 AM. Don't know how we managed to get out of bed this morning because boy were we tired. Continued with the packing process which took us a full hour, we were quite messy and spread across our large hotel room. We also managed to accumulate a large number of souvenirs over the course of the two weeks. Luckily, last night we were able to stuff our boots and costume bags into one of the costume suitcases, so that freed up some volume. Brooke's suitcase was just over the weight limit and we had to move her character shoes into another bag. My checked backpack was half her weight (but that is due to all the alcohol being in her bag).

    Then planned for a quick trip down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast. We hit it at the worst possible time as it seems that all dance groups are leaving today and everyone wanted to eat breakfast at 8:00 AM. There was almost nowhere to sit and the line for the buffet was extra long. We grabbed a coffee and utilized the stupidity of everyone waiting in line for the first buffet and snagged some quick food from a buffet spot in the back. Sat in a couple of conference room chairs and had breakfast with a fellow dancer Jesse. Then it was back up to our room to zip up our luggage and head downstairs. We are loaded up with two costume suitcases as well, so it was a challenge to get down to the lobby. My skills with two suitcases (plus 3 backpacks) are better than Brooke's.

    The tour company, Cobblestone Freeway, includes an airport transfer and has it all prearranged. There was a group of about 7 of us all leaving at the same time and we loaded up into two large vans with all of our suitcases. The ride to the airport was about 20 minutes.

    The check-in process seemed terribly inefficient. They only had one desk open for economy class in our airline and she was quite slow. We were checking a total of 4 bags and were expecting to pay for the additional 2. The process to pay involved going over to a separate counter and then bring proof of payment over to the lady at the check-in desk. Weird.

    Once through security we looked around for the traditional paprika chips at the airport. Couldn't find any but did manage to find some interesting flavors. Brooke got cheese chips and I grabbed crab flavour (interesting taste but I must admit I only ate half the bag).

    Our first flight was a 2 hour hop over to Munich. Brooke said we should both blog on this flight. Sounds good. I set off to finish a post from 2 days ago and she proceeded to fall asleep.

    When we landed in Munich we had lunch with Stephanie, Tom, and their 1 year old daughter Incarra. At this point we were discussing how in Lviv the check-in agent wasn't able to print our boarding passes for our YYZ to YYC flight (even though I checked in and selected seats for that flight yesterday). We decided to walk over to the Lufthansa service desk and see if they could. Their response was that "it was technically impossible to do this". Not impressed and slightly concerned. Also tried at a service desk closer to our gate and tried downloading the Luftansa app to see if it could work. It's going to be interesting once we get to Toronto.

    Boarded the plane for a 9 hour flight. My throat is starting to feel kinda funny from the lack of sleep. Hopefully everything works out in Toronto.

    Tyler
    Read more