Satellite
  • Day 103

    Leon, Nicaragua

    June 1, 2016 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    How long: 3 night's
    Stayed: Lazybones Hostel
    Travelling with: Susan and Tom

    Sadly said goodbye to Pete in Managua and after mucho haggling with the taxi driver we agreed in a price and hit the road for Leon, stopping off enroute to pick up Toms surfboard from the hostel.
    Arrived in Leon around lunchtime and immediately went for food in a great little place called San Benito. Less than 2 dollars for a feed. Was liking Leon already.
    Spent the afternoon wandering and exploring. Leon is the revolutionary home of Nicaragua. Here was the Sandinista stronghold and saw a lot of fighting during the revolution and subsequent contra war. It's a very beautiful colonial city with the biggest cathedral in central and south America. Probably not as pretty as Granada but I think I preferred it as it has a much nicer atmosphere and much less touristy. And a lot cheaper! First day a want to a really lovely art gallery in an old colonial villa...great selection of central American art. Following day we went to the cathedral and got to walk along the roof...which was really beautiful with great views of the city. Susan and I then got a tour of revolutionary Leon from one of the old Sandinista rebels (Jaime). Spanish only so we didn't get everything but what we did understand was fascinating and he was very passionate about the history. Reagan pretty much a swear word in these parts.
    Next day was sublime to the ridiculous as Tom and I went Volcano Boarding on the Cerro Verde Volcano. 45 minute truck ride at 8am out to the volcano and then another 45 minute hike up the volcano with your board on your back. Tough but beautiful hike and the views were amazing...especially into the smoking crater. Then you get togged out in a massive denim suit. Put goggles and a scarf over your face and then sit on your board and slide down a very very steep volcano. Totally ridiculous but great fun!! I was slightly terrified as it as sooooo steep but you can break with your feet so you can control your speed. Tom of course flew down but my decent was slightly more sedate! Got to the bottom and we all opted to go again. So off we went on another 45 minute hike to do it all again!
    Back to Leon in the afternoon to meet up with Susan and wash the volcano ash off. Covered from head to toe! Time to plan the next steps so Susan and I walked to the bus station to check out the transport options. That was an experience in itself as it was totally chaotic and was part bus station part market part general madness! Great to see and we definitely in a minority(of two) as this was definitely not a gringo hangout. Got some sketchy info about buses to Potosi which would have us up at the crack of dawn and home we went to pack and enjoy our last evening with Tom. He was staying on in Nicaragua to do some more surfing and we needed to start moving north as Susan was running out of time.
    There was a little bit of dissention in the ranks that evening as I was questioning the logic of the planned route...chicken bus to chenindenga, another chicken bus to potosi, boat to la union and another bus to our destination in El Cuco. When there was a direct shuttle from Leon to El Cuco for much cheaper. But Susan was determined to get the boat so I fell into line(not gracefully)
    Had a nice last evening with Tom and got at 6 the following morning, said our goodbyes and set off on the epic journey.
    Read more