Satellite
  • Day 11

    Last day in Mexico

    January 28, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Today was one of those low key but very enjoyable days. No rushing around, no major sites, but a really nice way to end the visit. First off -- no more horrible coffee, so we headed to Starbucks to start the day. I would have preferred a good local shop but none presented itself. Then to the Arte Popular museum, and then off to the market, where we were shocked to find that we saw not one other foreign tourist.

    Our one visit was to the Borda Gardens, with a nice little museum of contemporary artist exhibits off to the side. The one I liked the best was the Mexican "still life" that added an unusual element to the normal array of things to eat that you find in a still life. As we were sitting in the garden, a man about our age came up and started talking. Turns out he is a poet, and as we were having a nice chat and as he began reading his poems, a young aspiring poet heard one of the poems and came up to join the group. A half hour later, with many poems having been read by both, we went back to the main square for a great lunch up on a balcony overlooking the Square and all its activities. Really one of the best meals I have had on this trip.

    After lunch, we enjoyed watching the crowd as the local police put on a comedy routine for kids and adults alike. There is surely no political correctness here, but everyone seemed to be enjoying it. I assume this is good PR for the police, whose reputation in Mexico is pretty bad.

    On the way home, I was sorely tempted by the mango on a stick sprinkled with chili pepper, but my guts have been fine so far, so why tempt fate?

    Now back to chill out and exercise before our last foray into Cuernavaca.
    Read more