Satellite
  • Day 23

    To Monterrubio de la Serena

    April 30, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Except for the fact that the last 12 of the total 32 km were on asphalt (but on a very untraveled road), this was a great walk. The first 20 were just perfect, for me at least — out in the middle of nowhere, on dirt tracks, through scrub oak and barley fields, lots of wildflowers. Not a person anywhere, just the occasional flock of sheep guarded by big barking dogs. Fortunately, there was always a fence between me and the dogs.

    I came to the site of what had been a two day romería (procession up to the little chapel about 17 kms away). I learned that a couple thousand people camp out for two days and carry the statue of a special Virgin Mary across the river (which I avoided crossing today bc the water is shoulder-deep, so this would have been quite a spectacle) It looked more like the scene after a raucous outdoor rock concert than a religious procession, with garbage everywhere and a few stalwarts cleaning up.

    I am in a hotel that seems to survive with pilgrim guests. About 6 of us here tonight, I’d say. Tomorrow the choice is 20 km or 40 km. I will probably try for 40. But rain is predicted, and if things are too bad at 20, I will just stop there.
    Read more