Satellite
  • Day 9

    Last Day in Granada

    June 24, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We took a local bus up to the Cartuja Monastery, with its overabundant, over-the-top roccoco church and chapel. One Spanish architecture professor is reputed to have described it as a “motionless architectural earthquake.” Pretty good. The information I read suggests that perhaps the order wanted to outdo the Alhambra. I don’t know anything about the Carthusian order, but I do know that the Camino Francés also has a Monasterio Cartujo - de Miraflores in Burgos.

    The monastery used to be on the outskirts of town, but now the University of Granada has a whole modern campus up there. It was fun to walk around. Back downtown in early afternoon, we decided to go to the Capilla Real to see where Fernando and Isabel are buried. I hadn’t remembered the anecdote about the very elaborate statuary showing them lying in state up on the floor above the alleged tombs. Her head sinks more deeply into the pillow than his, perhaps a nod to her superior intellect and “heavier brain.” Who knows.

    We won’t leave Granada without one more trip up to the Albaicín (moorish quarter) to see the Alhambra from afar in the late afternoon sun. And one more dinner in one more lovely little plaza somewhere. The food has not been great, but totally fine. I would take mediocre food in such a gorgeous setting anyday!

    Bus to Málaga tomorrow!

    Note to self: Make sure husband’s cap is affixed to his head. But hey, he walked 7 miles today!
    Read more