Satellite
  • Day 13

    Volgograd

    June 23, 2018 in Russia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    The overnight train has been a highlight. 2nd class was a little tight but the two young Aussie guys we shared with were pretty considerate.
    My first sight of Volgograd is the 72m Mother Russia perched high above Mamev Kurgan, Hill 102 in the Battle of Stalingrad.
    Volgograd is so much like the other cities we have met. The locals are friendly, helpful and keen to engage us. When we say we are Australian their faces beam with delight and we are in for another photo.
    Our first encounter with the Tourist Police, armed, English speaking and ready to help.
    The Panoramic Museum of the Battle of Stalingrad is staggering. A complete tribute to the defenders their city
    A quick look at the Volgograd Fanzone and a $2.00 taxi back to the station.
    First class this time. Great expectations were shattered when we entered the dining cart and were yelled at by an old babushka who clearly didn't like customers, westerners or both. So we retreated to the sanctity of our compartment and relaunched an offensive 30 minutes later, only to be told there was only enough food for the children.
    ! previous trip to Russia 18 years ago taught me to hive as good as you get, so out came the 1st class ticket and the demand fir a menu. Surprisingly it arrived and 40 minutes later a modest meal at full price.
    A priceless experience, resulting in a good chat to a young Russian couple and a lone Aussie girl on her way to the next game.
    10:30 lights out.
    Read more