Satellite
  • Day 1

    Get a Glimpse of Erstwhile Moghul Enigma

    August 12, 2015 in India ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Agra is one city that never fails to enchant its visitors. The city is full of numerous attractions and is well-known as the kingdom of Moghul emperors. Read on to know about the must-visit tourist spots in the city.

    The timeless attractions in Agra make the city one of the most preferred destinations for tourists. A tour to Agra can be one of the most enriching experiences as the place is well-known for its magnificent Moghul architecture.

    Making your journey even more special is the Maharajas' Express, which is a palace on wheels. Agra is a prominent place for culture tourism, and also has a historic significance. It houses one of the seven wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal. However, along with Taj Mahal, many more monuments speak majestically of the Indian architecture. Here are some of the famous not-to-miss tourist spots in Agra:

    Taj Mahal: Agra tourism is incomplete without a visit to the inevitable Taj Mahal. The monument is an epitome of Shah Jahan's love for his wife, Mumtaz. This white marble beauty is a perfect example of brilliant Mughal architecture. Furthermore, in the year 1983, the monument was declared as 'World Heritage Site'. This unmatched beauty is certainly a treat to the eyes.

    Agra Fort: Another common spot for culture tours is the Agra Fort. Situated near the famous Taj Mahal, the monument is called as the Red Fort of Agra. The awe inspiring fortress comprise of palaces like Khas Mahal, Jahangir Palace and many more. Also, one can find audience halls and two mosques. Aurangzeb imprisoned his father, Shah Jahan in this fort. It is believed that Shah Jahan spent his last days in this monument and glanced at the Taj Mahal, which he had built in the memory of his loving wife Mumtaz.

    Fatehpur Sikri: This city was built by Akbar and was dedicated to Sufi Saint. Made of red sandstone, Fatehpur Sikri depicts an impeccable fusion of Persian, Islamic and Indian architecture. This city was the capital of Mughal Empire for around 10 years. Famous for its 6-kilometer long wall on three sides, gates, and towers, the city also houses some significant buildings like Panch Mahal, Buland Darwaza, Jama Masjid, and Birbals House.

    Itmad-Ud-Daulah: Known as India's first tomb entirely made of marble, Itmad-Ud-Daulah brought about a revolution in the Moghul architecture. The tomb is 21 meters high and was constructed in the memory of Mirza Ghiyas (father-in-law of Jahangir). One of the main attractions of this tomb are its wall paintings.

    Agra being one of the most preferred destinations in India, is covered in all the journeys of Maharajas Express.
    Read more