Satellite
  • Day 32

    The Poland detour

    June 30, 2020 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    When we got up this morning, the clouds had gone away and it was perfect cycling weather. We were going to pass the Tatra mountains on the North side via Poland and enter Slovakia again in the afternoon.
    But sometimes, traveling doesn't work like this. When we saw the mountains, we immediately fell in love with this place. We just loved the nature and the wooden houses of Zakopane architecture style. Plus, when we had climbed our first hill, we were welcomed by something like a fair with little stalls, rides, horses etc. We were in the middle of a ski resort on a ridge overlooking Zakopane. Most of the hotels and restaurants had an amazing view of the Tatra range, so we stopped for a coffee, extended the stop with a Radler and decided to look for accommodation nearby.
    We found a nice guesthouse in the direction of the Slovakian border. This gave us time to explore Zakopane: We went to the main shopping and aprés ski road to watch people and try some local street food. We also went to the famous ski jump area and the entrance of the Tatra National Park.
    Afterwards, we cycled to our guesthouse, a real lucky find. It was clean, the owners were super nice, we could see the mountains while chilling in the backyard and we received a delicious traditional meal. We later learned that the owners are famous chefs in town, so couldn't have chosen any better accommodation for the night!
    Read more