Satellite
  • Day 53

    Little detour

    July 21, 2020 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    As the Republic of Moldova is still closed for tourism, we decided to do a little detour to the Danube delta at the Black Sea. Furthermore, the weather at the sea is usually better 😉
    But this morning, we couldn't complain as the day welcomed us with sunshine. What a difference! Our route was really scenic, lots of short climbs followed by downhills. We stopped at a waterfall, cycled on a beautiful remote dirt road, followed a couple of rivers and canyons.
    And after about 50km, everything was suddenly flat and we were in the plains of Moldova, the Romanian province that has the same name as the country. This part appears to be very poor with lots of rundown houses along the road.
    As it was pretty hot (we are almost at sea level again), we decided to have a long afternoon stop at a river. We cooked dinner and went for a bath until it was about 6pm. Then we wanted to continue cycling for 2 more hours and look for a wild campspot. But first, we had to fill up water. In Romania, many people cannot drink the water from the tab. That's why they have fountains in the villages. Good for us as we can fill up our water bottles there as well. The locals were really friendly and helped us pulling up the bucket with the wheel. Cycling in this area was fun. People shouted and kids cheered.
    Then we had to go on a main road for a few kilometers which was terrible due to the traffic. When we finally reached our turn, we were totally surprised. The street we took was full of castle-like houses and heaps of families in traditional dresses sitting in front. We have to spend some time finding out what that was... A few kilometers later, we found a spot to camp. Not as scenic as the last one, but hopefully quiet to catch some sleep.
    Read more