Satellite
  • Day 74

    Bulgarian "rockies"

    August 11, 2020 in Bulgaria ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Most people think of the beaches at the Black Sea when they think about holidays in Bulgaria. However, the country has lots to offer and many mountains to climb and explore. So that's what we are going to do.
    Our destination today was Belogradchik. In order to get there, we cycled on remote roads which were in a semi-good state. Good for us as cars seemed to avoid them 😉 We also passed some villages, but most of them looked very deserted and in decay. In 10 years, there won't be anyone living there anymore I guess.
    We had a stop in one of the busier villages. It had a Sowjet monument in the central park. Around the park, people were sitting in front of the mini shops drinking coffee and beer as we've seen it quite often before on our trip.
    Along the roads, we saw many fruit trees with apples and pears. In a week or two, the fruits will be ripe and we can just pick them - yum!!
    When we arrived in Belogradchik, we went to a campground which could have been nice. But the owner doesn't seem to take good care of it, so it looked a bit uninviting. We cooked some pasta, so we had enough energy to explore the area. Around town, there's some incredible rock formations looking out of the forest. We went on a 2 hour hike to see them from different perspectives. We had never heard of this place before, but it's really impressive. Looking forward to what's coming up next!
    Read more