Satellite
  • Day 102

    One year on the bikes

    September 8, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    It's been exactly one year now that we flew to Vancouver in order to cycle South to Patagonia. And now we are in Turkey - definitely not what we expected!
    We had an easy day ahead of us, so we slept in, had breakfast and left Tara's around 9am. The way to Dikili wasn't particularly interesting, rather flat. Most of the time, we had a more or less sandy beach to our right, but with basically no shade, so we didn't stop. We also passed uncountable houses that all looked the same. All holiday or retirement homes and still heaps of construction going on.
    In Dikili, we bought some lunch at a supermarket and when we got out, I realized I had a flat tire. The first on the whole trip! After it was fixed, we looked for a nice beach bar to spend the afternoon. We found one where we could swim and relax until it was time to meet Erdal. We had met him some days ago on the road where he was on a motorbike trip and stopped to talk to us and invite us to his place in Dikili. He and his wife met us at the beach. They brought homebrewed beers and we watched the sunset. Afterwards, we went to their apartment and had an amazing fish dinner. It seemed like they wanted us to gain 3kg within one night, that's how much we had to eat 😉 And of course, we got some Raki with it as well, so we only rolled into bed after finishing everything.
    Read more