Satellite
  • Day 110

    Finally we got one...

    September 16, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    The wind is predictable here: In the morning, it comes from the mountains, so basically Northeastern. At about 10am, it changes to West and blows from the sea. As we are going to go inland, this gave us a quiet morning with a last swim in the sea, breakfast with a view and a coffee in the harbour. We finally left at 10am and cycled with tailwinds towards Milas. Of course, we took backroads, so a lot of steep climbing was involved. The contrast between the seaside and the mountains was immense. Only 20km from Bodrum, people led their cows through the villages and horses and chickens ran around. What a difference to those million dollar yachts we saw yesterday.
    We arrived in Milas and here our really lucky day started. After about 20 attempts to buy a local SIM card in different shops and cities, we finally found a shop that seemed to skip some formal processes, sold us a SIM and it even worked after 2 hours. Wohoo, we are not dependent on restaurant wifis anymore 👍
    While waiting in front of a shop for the SIM card to work, the owner of the shop ordered tea for us - just like that. They use some walky-talky system here that is connected to a tea shop. 5 minutes later, a guy walked over with the tea on a tablet. Walking delivery service so to say 😀
    We also bought some bread in the bakery. When he saw our bikes and heard about our trip, he gave us water to fill up our bottles. Again - just like this. We then wanted to clean our chains and went to a car wash. The two young guys straight away agreed to clean our bicycles - and refused to take any money for it. The bikes haven't been this shiny in ages!
    Last but not least, we went to our host Alp. His mum cooked dinner for us and we spent the evening talking a lot about the Turkish society. He is also a bike mechanic, so he and Herbert also exchanged some technical information about the bicycles.
    Read more