Satellite
  • Day 159

    Crazy holiday cities

    November 4, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    If you want a holiday at the beach in a warm country without missing anything of "good old Germany", the area Northwest of Side is the place to be. We cycled through this part in the morning. Again, one resort next to another and many shopping malls. But here, most of the offers and signs are in German.
    Next, we had to cycle on the highway for some 20km which totally felt like Turkey again - busy villages with no tourists.
    Then we turned into a different "holiday city" again. This one was called Belek and caters to golfers and professional athletes. It's full of resorts, but you can't see them because of the huge, fenced golf courts around the buildings. Plus, there were many sports complexes for football, tennis, rowing etc. We also saw some triathletes training on their bicycles (slightly faster than us...).
    After the golf resorts, we passed an area which we call "presenting your money". Resorts were called "[something] palace" and had walls around them and shops were boutiques selling leathers, fur or jewellery. Interesting to see how different areas cater for different type of tourists.
    Then we finally arrived in Antalya. We feared another huge city, but actually really liked it, especially as we could enter via a 20km long bike path along the sea. There were parks with benches, outdoor gyms, cafés, restaurants and lots of places to stop for a picknick. The old town and the harbour also looked nice, but we didn't spend much time here. We are going to spend a couple of days in Antalya before flying out.
    Instead, we cycled through the city and headed to the mountains. Winds were crazy and we had to fight hard. In the end, we found a campspot in a pine forest where we can hopefully get some good sleep before we have to do a lot of climbing tomorrow.
    Read more