Satellite
  • Day 5

    Great Ocean Road without an ocean

    December 12, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Shortly after the Great Ocean Road project reached Apollo Bay the project ran out of money. This was a bit of a disaster as the aim of this road was to link Melbourne to the world famous 12 Apostles, therefore if the road did not make it there, it would defeat the point of building the road in the first place.
    In order to get the road all the way to the 12 Apostles the project made use of other existing roads, used for the logging industry inland. By connecting existing roads they managed to get the road completed all the way to the 12 Apostles zig zagging inland close to the Shipwreck Coast where it continues next to the coast again.

    This little inland detour meant we stopped at the Great Otway rainforest where you find some of the worlds larges trees today, only the Muïr Woods in California boasts with trees taller than these trees.

    Unthinkable that these trees are a couple of hundred years old and still considered juvenile, they become ready to produce fertile seeds at a very old age. It is truly like walking amongst dinosaurs in this forest as even some of the ferns here grow a couple of hundred years old.

    Our first stop on the shipwreck coast was Gibson's Beach where were able to get down to the beach and experience the enormous cliffs and stone structures up-close and personal. Breathtakingly beautiful it makes you feel so small in this wonderful creation of God.

    {Roedolf}
    Read more