Satellite
  • Day 3

    Batu caves

    January 11, 2017 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    We arrived at the caves at 10am, a good time to beat the tourbus crowd. We explored the caves & temples at a leisurely pace and dodged a few monkeys. The monkeys are super cheeky, they come up to people and grab flowers food and whatever they want. The monkey (who needs a bra) in the picture jumped in between me and Roedolf while we were sitting on the bench reading the history of the caves. Needless to say we weren't too comfortable, so jumped up.

    Batu caves is a limestone hill that has a series of caves and temples, this cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside of India. We climbed a steep flight of 272 steps to the top to see Cathedral cave.

    The gold statue is 42.7m high and took 3 years to build (it was finished in 2006) it is the tallest Lord Murugan statue in the world. The other clown looking statue is a statue of Hanuman.

    We also did a tour of the dark cave with rock formations and a number of animals that you don't find anywhere else, like flat worms, funny crickets, spiders etc. It is basically a 2km network of untouched caverns, we also saw a frozen waterfall which was impressive.

    {Issy}
    Read more