Satellite
  • Day 2

    Mekong delta

    January 14, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We left the city at 8am , a few hours later after a bumpy bus rid we arrived in My Tho town. Roedolf spoiled me with a cool hat so I can look the part of a local. Here we got on a very primitive motorized boat to explore Mekong delta and surrounding islands.

    We first visited a honey bee farm and tasted delicious honey tea with lemon and local made dried banana.

    Then we headed to a nearby spot where we got on a smaller even more primitive boat and drove to Ben Tre province, where we visited a coconut candy workshop and saw how the locals make tasty candies by hand. The boat experience was pretty priceless, you can't think about risks or safety too much otherwise you might miss out on the adventure. You just take a leap of faith and hope that the wooden structure can do the job. Its fun and amazing watching everyone big, small athletic and old making there way on and off the boat.

    My heart feel a bit broken about the pollution everywhere, it is clear that there is no education on looking after your heritage. I understand that poverty brings this kind of dynamic but its like the locals have no respect for their environment.

    My highlight was the hand – rowed sampan (a very basic canoe) ride through the creeks, this was very touristy but one of those must do's in Vietnam that is not to be missed. It is not exactly a gondola ride in Venice but romantic in its own unromantic way. The water is smelly at places, but a unique experience.

    {Issy}
    Read more