Satellite
  • Day 3

    Cai Rang floating market

    January 15, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We walked to the wharf and got on a boat for a 30 minute drive to the market, it is an impressive site. A stretch of boats selling all variety of goods lines the river. Not really a place for souvenirs, people come here to buy large quantities of goods, mostly foodstuffs, and you will get an idea of what water commerce in the Delta looks like. The large boats get products from local farmers and resell it to retailers with smaller boats, which then distribute to shops in town. We weaved through the hordes with our smaller boat, a small boat that sellsVietnamese coffee and drinks dock next to our boat, it was tempting to try till I saw the filthy river water splash onto the boats and into the cups, buying a local Saignon beer in a can is definitely a better option. The peoples whole being and existence is dependent on the river. There are more tourist boats than I expected, thats definitely a huge income for them too.You can identify what the large boats are selling by hanging a sample off the top of a long pole. It is one of those can't put it in words mornings. Between the spectating life on the river, its struggles, the pollution and happiness of people..I challenge our western ways and my own ideas of a decent living.

    {Issy}
    Read more