Satellite
  • Day 1

    Almost stayed in the wrong country

    March 6, 2017 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    As we arrive in Manila from El Nido Isabel shifts her focus to Singapore and she checks on google maps how to get from the airport to our Airbnb. At that moment she says "Ek het 'n foutjie gemaak"/ I made a mistake.

    Then she said the Airbnb I booked is 5 minutes across the border in Malaysia. I double check and yes we are about to board a plane to Singapore but we only have a place to stay in Malaysia.

    After overcoming the shock of this I spring into action and try to cancel our Airbnb and get our money back, while Isabel started looking for new accommodation in Singapore.

    Although Airbnb has a very strict cancellation policy (or at least this one) I still try as Isabel did search for Singapore when the listing came up, plus Isabel even said to the host we are looking forward to come to Singapore and she did not tell us that the place is not in Singapore. I am not sure what happened behind the scenes between Airbnb and the host but the host came back and said its fine she will refund us, so thats great.

    Isabel looked at Airbnb and there was nothing available thats cheaper than any hotel she could find and at the end of the day she booked us into the Dorsett Singapore, which cost about the same per night than our whole previous Airbnb booking did. Singapore is just much more expensive than Malaysia. I am glad we caught this in time and was able to book this nice hotel.

    {Roedolf}

    Hierdie foutjie het vir my uitgewerk! 😜

    {Isabel}
    Read more