Satellite
  • Day 13

    Spruce Goose, LA Beaches

    June 27, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Pete was up early as usual doing his diary, got showered and shaved before anyone had stirred, so headed off for the laundromat. I eventually roused myself and the kids. By about 9:45 we were on our way to Long Beach to see if we could catch Neil & Barbara before they left. After knocking on the wrong door first we finally caught up with them and chatted for about 20 minutes before they had to go. Then we went looking for breakfast (at 11:45!). Only one little shop which the kids didn't much like and Joel constantly complained about. Sean's spots were getting bigger and more prolific. I had covered him in calomine lotion during the morning.

    Went in to see the Spruce Goose, the largest plane that has ever flown, with a wing span of 319 feet, and the work of Howard Hughes. Walked around it - it is housed in a large dome. Then probably spent more time in the souvenir shop than looking at the plane!

    From here we walked the decks of the Queen Mary, Sean not doing too badly despite his condition. After deciding we'd seen enough, we made our way to downtown Long Beach and other beaches along the coast: Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach, stopping along the way to look. The beaches are very wide, but the ones we saw were quite dirty. I was also amazed that it was so cold. I was feeling rather unpleasant and eventually put my sweater on.

    At one place, we looked from a high point down at some squirrels jumping around the rocks - quite a few of then, and a fellow flying a model airplane.

    Close to the beaches you have to pay for parking. In a couple of places I had to put quarters in the parking meter. On Huntington Beach people were busy playing all sorts of ball games. Lots of mobile homes around. Also lots of oil wells.

    Finally decided to make for hotel and get something on the way. Went past many food outlets, but stopped at a place called Norm's Family Restaurant. Amused by the signs such as "Parking for Norms only" and "Non Smoking Norms". The meal here was tremendous value Lots of extras included and the bill only came to $32 for the five of us. Sean didn't eat his meal, his temp had gone up again so we brought it with us. We also brought our desserts which had been included. Only trouble was the chocolate pudding spilled over everything.

    Kids watched a bit of TV while mum unpacked, then in bed for another eventful day tomorrow!
    Read more