Satellite
  • Day 24

    Bryce Canyon, Kanab UT

    July 8, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We didn't sleep too well. It was a bit warm in the second bedroom, a car alarm went off a couple of times, Sean slept in with me and kept kneeing me in the groin, and the people above us were up at about 5:30.

    Amazingly enough we were packed up by 9:30 and had breakfast a block down the road at a bakery that also had breakfast cereal available. Cereal, milk and a donut for $1. Then we headed off for Bryce Canyon. The day wasn't looking too bright. Rain was threatening. Stopped at Red Canyon for a photo, then pulled up at the Bryce Canyon visitor's centre for a look around, watched the slide show, the headed off for the Canyon.

    Pulled up first at Sunset Point in wet, cold conditions. Pretty rock formations in the red sandstones. We started walking down into the canyon along the Navajo trail - a steep walk down and at the bottom walked past the river course. The walk upwards was strenuous and Sean complained for most of the way.

    The elevation here was quite high (8100 ft) and together with the rain we were all freezing. We went looking for food when we got back and settled for a help yourself affair at the general store. Then we drove down the canyon, stopping at a few places on the way back. Stopped at some Western-looking shops before heading back to Kanab.

    Not sure whether it was the chilli I'd had for lunch, but I was feeling queasy when we arrived in Kanab. First we checked into the Treasure Trail motel, as the Aiken Lodge was booked out for the night. Our new room was rather large with 3 double beds. All I wanted to do was crawl into bed, so Pete went out and got a pizza for dinner. I declined. Another funny night's sleep. Pete was the only one who slept well which he made obvious by his snoring.
    Read more