Satellite
  • Day 27

    Yosemite NP

    July 11, 1992 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Went back to Carl's Jr for breakfast as well! Discovered that now Nicole was breaking out all over with with chicken pox. We had suspected it the night before and the morning confirmed it. We covered her in calomine where it wouldn't show and paxyl the rest. Also gave her some panadol. Was nearly 11 before heading off for Yosemite. Just as well it wasn't too far. Had to go northwest along 395 as far as Lee Vining, with a couple of lakes and old craters to see along the way.

    From Lee Vining turned southwest toward the park and had to go up through Tioga Pass, elevation 9941 ft, the highest in the US. It was quite chilly and I had packed our sweaters separately in anticipation. The countryside was very pretty. Large pine trees alongside peaceful lakes. Lots of boulders around - mostly granite - the whole of Yosemite is basically igneous plutonic rock. A couple of inviting walks to on but we had to keep pushing on. We were hardly in the park.

    We stopped at several picturesque viewpoints, some with large forests of pine, some with waterfalls, some with deep valleys. Went past a small glacier but only patches of snow visible from the car. Also stopped at one point and saw a very tame couple of marmots, and everywhere lots of jumpy squirrels. We also took time to pull off and look at a grove of giant sequoia trees, including one that you can drive through. However the road was only one way and we had to go about 20 miles out of our way. It was a very pretty detour though and I was glad we took it.

    By the time we actually got to Yosemite Valley it was quite late in the day and raining we took some hasty photos of El Capitan and Bridal Veil falls. By the time we got to the village a thunderstorm was upon us, and we took refuge in a cafe before getting to the visitor centre for a quick look. We decided there was no point in hanging around so we headed off for our lodge in El Portal. Quite nice it was too, with a little kitchenette, coffee maker and fridge. Quaint wooden carvings of bears around the place.

    The boys headed off for the pool while Nicole had a sleep, then we tidied up for dinner in the 50s style diner. A young fellow took our order then came back after 10-15 minutes with the news that everything in the kitchen was stuffed up and we would be waiting a while. He told us someone else would be waiting on the table. After a while we surmised that he in fact was the problem and had been demoted. We asked a waitress to take our order and were soon served. Needless to say we didn't leave a tip. I patted Nicole down with calomine before going to bed.
    Read more