Satellite
  • Day 56

    Day 56: More Relaxing

    August 10, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    Since we'd had mostly good luck with the weather yesterday, we wanted to spend a bit more time here, as we'd originally only booked for two nights and would be otherwise checking out today. But instead we booked an extra night and settled in for another day at the beach & pool. The weather wasn't as great in the morning, with cloudy skies though no rain around.

    After hotel breakfast we parked ourselves on sun loungers and again set about doing nothing. Shandos went for a long walk up and down the beach while I worked on trying to remove my farmer's tan. We had lunch at the same venue as we had dinner last night, and it wasn't a fluke - we both had pad thai which was very good and definitely in line with expectations.

    After lunch Shandos had itchy feet and decided to walk to a Cultural Centre about a kilometre away. I wasn't particularly interested so returned to the beach, though it spotted rain briefly and I returned to the room for a little while. The weather cleared by late afternoon in time for another swim and a great sunset, although a cloud bank on the horizon meant we didn't quite get the "sun dipping into water" magic. Still fantastic colours though.

    At various points during the day we both had a quick look at the resort next door called Nikki Beach Club - a fairly well known hangout for supposedly the rich and famous. Several of our friends have visited on their trips to Thailand and it's known for being a good party venue, but during the day it just felt odd. There was a pool facing the beach with a DJ blasting out disco house tunes, but then there were two scantily clad women dancing suggestively on podiums while kids in floaties splashed around the pool below them. And the venue was probably half empty, with mostly only old folk (50+) in attendance. Probably very different on the weekend, but the dancers were a very odd touch. We didn't stick around as the drinks and food were essentially Sydney prices; much better to get a couple of longnecks from the shop across the road!

    Dinner again at the same restaurant for the third time in four meals, and again not disappointed with green curry chicken or a chilli jam cashew nut stir fry. Or the mango sticky rice dessert!

    Shandos also spent a couple of hours planning out the next few days - after checking out of here tomorrow we'll spend a couple of nights at Chaweng (the main town on the north-eastern side of Ko Samui), before getting the ferry to Ko Phang An just to the north. We'll stay there for about 5 days and check out just before the infamous Full Moon Party and head to the smaller island of Koh Tao - a bit more rural and great for diving (although I can't dive due to my epilepsy).
    Read more