Satellite
  • Day 27

    Day 27: More of Merida

    March 14, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Much quieter day today. We actually slept in by accident, and didn't get up until nearly 10am! Weather outside has turned again, it's now quite chilly and very windy. We hung around the apartment for the morning doing various project work, then had lunch and headed for the Museum that had been closed yesterday.

    It was quite interesting and well done, lots of stuff to see and plenty of signs in English and Spanish again. Original sculptures from the buildings outside, as well as mosaic floors that had been recovered from various villas around the town. Also a very large collection of coins with the different emperors on each one, again in great condition.

    Afterwards we headed out into the super-quiet centre of town (siesta time, so everything was shut), and made our way over to the Church of Santa Eulalia. Apparently this is the spot where Saint Eulalia was martyred during the Christian purges of the late Roman empire. She was supposedly buried here and a chapel set up over the top, but her remains are long gone and there's now only various tombs from the last couple of thousand years under a large gothic church.

    If that sounds interesting, well, unfortunately it wasn't. There was a huge amount of information entirely in Spanish, and the section where you could go into the crypts under the church and directly see the graves from Romans, Visigoths, early Christians and then Muslims just felt odd. Mainly because we were just underneath a false floor for the church above, and the giant gothic pillars looked perhaps a little less sturdy than you'd hope.

    Back to the apartment where we brought Schnitzel downstairs and took him around the nearby park. Happy to get outside, but not as excited as he was yesterday. We didn't stay out for too long though, as the wind had shifted direction and now smelled distinctly of "fertiliser".

    Upstairs to the warmth where we kept working, watched some football and had a Skype session with mum before heading to bed around midnight.
    Read more