Satellite
  • Day 76

    Day 76: More of Paris

    May 2, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Another busy day today, with more sight-seeing packed in. Grabbed a much earlier breakfast while the room was still empty, meaning that we didn't have to fight over scraps or crockery which was nice.

    Second night complete, we packed up our stuff and headed back to our original Airbnb apartment, making a slight detour along the way to stop at a vet. Schnitzel needs a vet-certified worming tablet and a vet check before going to the UK, so we had organised for it to be done now (it's a 24 hour - 5 day window). We dropped our stuff off in the apartment and left Schnitzel behind this time, as we headed back out.

    Headed off on the Metro to our first stop, the Musee Rodin, containing a large garden of Rodin sculptures organised around a large manor house. The interior of the manor house has more sculptures inside, but we'd heard that the outside was the best, so we spent a couple of hours wandering around out here. Was good to see several of his most famous works, including the Gates of Hell and of course, The Thinker. They're fascinating sculptures too, in that the lines are very simple and clean, but at the same time very expressive! We also had a light lunch of baguettes and coffee in the musem's cafe.

    Afterwards we wandered out to Las Invalides, though decided against going in as it was very expensive (25 euros per head or something crazy like that). I'm sure Napoleon's tomb is worth seeing, but not at that price!

    So instead we walked over to the Petit Palais, one of the two palaces built for the World's Fair in 1894 or similar. These days it's a large art gallery with quite a varied collection including paintings by Monet, Cezanne, Degas and several other famous Impressionists. Had a look around here for about an hour before we decided we'd done enough for the day and retreated back to the apartment.

    Stayed indoors for the next couple of hours working, researching, organising and editing video, before heading out to a local bistro in the evening. Good food again, and Schnitzel very much behaved himself! Since being let into restaurants in Paris he's made a habit of lying down under our feet and not making a sound! Fingers crossed it lasts.
    Read more