Satellite
  • Day 141

    Day 141: To Kerry via Limerick

    July 6, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Fairly relaxed day today, as we didn't have much to do besides driving. Checked out of our Airbnb at the usual time and started the drive south - it was going to be a few hours today.

    First stop was the small city/large town of Limerick, the largest city on the western coast of Ireland. We didn't really have anything planned for here, but we parked up anyway and wandered around. It seems like a nice small place with a bit of interesting history; we had a look around the castle and the older buildings though we didn't pay to go in any of them.

    Also had a nice lunch at a trendy cafe Shandos had read about, which was quite good.

    Back to the car where we continued the drive south to county Kerry. Stopped again at the village of Adare which is rated as one of the prettiest in Ireland. It was quite nice, though it would've been a lot prettier without the giant tour buses cramming the main street, trying to show off the pretty-ness. I feel sorry for the people who live there, as their nice little town gets gradually converted into a circus attraction. Maybe not so bad if you owned a cafe or a souvenir shop I guess!

    Drove on to our accommodation for the night, at the little hamlet of Rathmore about 20 minutes from Killarney, the main town in Kerry. We'd had trouble finding dog-friendly accommodation for a reasonable price in Killarney, so as usual we were staying 20 minutes outside of town. This was a large terrace house owned by an older gent in his 60s. He wasn't around, so we let ourselves in using the spare key under the flowerpot.

    Even after staying in 50+ places now, I still find it super weird to just let yourself into someone else's house, particularly when they're clearly still living there. We settled in and relaxed for a while before eventually Denis came home and we had a chat with him.

    Given the tiny village, there weren't many food options, so we ended up driving about 10 minutes down the road to a takeaway. Not the world's greatest food, but still quite a bit better than expected for what was essentially a truck stop!
    Read more