Satellite
  • Day 208

    Day 209: Exploring Vicenza

    September 11, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Time to get our UNESCO filming done! The main attraction here in Vicenza is the villas of Andrea Palladio, an architect whose classical Roman-inspired style had a huge impact around the world, despite his buildings only being built in a relatively small area (Vicenza and Venice, basically). A whole bunch of his buildings have survived and are collectively on the world heritage list, so off we went!

    Drove into town and found a decent parking lot, then started our walking tour. Thankfully for us, we'd been to the tourist information the previous afternoon and picked up some brochures, where they helpfully had a couple of walking tours planned out. So we basically just followed them around the city for a couple of hours.

    Quite nice to see, though many of them were difficult to film being located in narrow streets and so on. Feels like I was just constantly looking up which was a bit frustrating and will probably make for an odd video. Oh well.

    Found a decent spot for lunch and tucked into some paninis, then finished off our walking tour of the city. We returned to the car and drove out of town, as besides the townhouses and pallazos, Palladio was probably best known for his country villas, and there are loads of them dotted around the area. We picked out a few interesting ones and drove around. Unfortunately since it was Monday, most of them were closed (most tourist spots in Italy are closed on Mondays for some reason), but one site we were able to access the gardens which was nice.

    Back to the car where we headed home by 4pm, stopping only briefly to grab supplies from the supermarket. Gnocchi for dinner, and off to Venice tomorrow. Though annoyingly, even though we're only about 30km from Venice, we have to return the car in Milan first!!
    Read more