Satellite
  • Day 237

    Day 238: Relaxing in Budapest

    October 10, 2017 in Hungary ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Having finished all of the filming we needed on our busy day yesterday, today was basically a day to relax and enjoy. We headed down the street for breakfast at a new place which had great coffee, then headed back to the apartment where we stayed for the rest of the morning and well into the afternoon as well.

    Mid-afternoon we decided we'd go and check out Gellert Baths since we hadn't seen those baths last time in Budapest (we'd only been to Szcenyi instead), so we caught the tram a few stops to the south.

    It's fairly expensive, something like 20 euros each plus you have to have a swimming cap to swim in the largest pool, but definitely worth it. There's this real sense of old-world grandeur and charm in the baths that you just don't get any more. Budapest is located atop several hot springs, and the hottest pool here was actually outdoors, at 42 degrees! Enjoyed it for a while, had a brief sauna and a quick plunge in the cold pool before relaxing in the other, not quite as hot pools.

    By the time we left it was dark and dinner time, so since Schnitzel wasn't with us we decided to eat at the sushi restaurant nearby where we hadn't been allowed the other night. Delicious food, Japanese done well, though my katsu don took ages to emerge because of some "problem with the rice". Oh well! Back home where we relaxed a bit more and prepared for our return to the road.

    And in ominous news, slowly over the day I'd been developing a tickle in my throat that I knew was probably an oncoming cold. Hoping that it isn't, because it's a pretty inopportune time to get sick! But it's been nearly 9 months of solid travel now without getting sick, so my run had to come to an end some time.
    Read more